Increasing image size in Photoshop can be a useful skill to have, whether you need to enlarge a photo for printing or enhance the details of a smaller image. In this article, we will explore various methods and techniques to increase image size in Photoshop, allowing you to achieve the desired results while maintaining image quality.
One of the primary methods to increase image size in Photoshop is through resampling. Resampling involves changing the number of pixels in an image, either by adding or removing them. To increase image size, we will focus on adding pixels.
Step 1: Open the Image: Begin by opening the image you want to enlarge in Photoshop. You can do this by going to “File” and selecting “Open” or by using the shortcut Ctrl+O (Command+O on a Mac).
Step 2: Image Size: Once the image is open, navigate to “Image” and select “Image Size” from the dropdown menu. A dialog box will appear, displaying the current dimensions of the image.
Step 3: Adjust Dimensions: In the Image Size dialog box, you can adjust the dimensions of the image to increase its size. Ensure that the “Resample” checkbox is checked and choose a resampling method from the dropdown menu. The “Preserve Details 2.0” option is recommended for most cases as it provides better results when enlarging images.
Step 4: Set New Dimensions: Enter the desired dimensions for the image in the “Width” and “Height” fields. You can choose to specify the dimensions in pixels, inches, or any other unit of measurement. As you increase the dimensions, Photoshop will automatically calculate the new pixel dimensions.
Step 5: Apply Changes: Once you have set the new dimensions, click on the “OK” button to apply the changes. Photoshop will resample the image and increase its size based on the specified dimensions.
While the basic resampling method described above can be effective, there are additional techniques you can use to enhance the quality of the upscaled image.
1. Preserve Details: In the Image Size dialog box, you can experiment with different resampling options. The “Preserve Details” option, available in older versions of Photoshop, can be useful for certain images. It uses algorithms to analyze the image and preserve important details while enlarging it.
2. Smart Objects: Another technique to increase image size is by converting the image layer into a Smart Object. Right-click on the image layer in the Layers panel and select “Convert to Smart Object.” This allows you to apply non-destructive transformations and maintain the image quality when resizing.
3. Plugins and AI Tools: There are various plugins and AI-powered tools available that can help enhance image quality when increasing the size. These tools utilize advanced algorithms to intelligently upscale the image while preserving important details. Some popular options include Topaz Gigapixel AI and ON1 Resize.
Increasing image size in Photoshop can be achieved through resampling techniques, allowing you to enlarge images while maintaining quality. By following the steps outlined in this article and utilizing additional techniques such as preserving details and using plugins or AI tools, you can enhance the results and achieve the desired image size without significant loss of quality.
– Adobe Photoshop: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html
– Topaz Gigapixel AI: https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/
– ON1 Resize: https://www.on1.com/products/resize/