CLIMBING, CAMPING, FISHING, HIKING, HORSEBACK RIDING, PICNICKING, SWIMMING
In the southern tip of Illinois lies the rolling Shawnee Hills where 289,000 acres await you to relax, unwind and explore the Shawnee National Forest. Here you will find vast forests, wetlands and rugged bluffs home to a variety of plants and animals. The natural beauty of the area is ideal for all types of outdoor recreation.
Ways to search our Recreation Page:
- Search by Recreation Activity from the list on the left
- Zoom in on the map below and click on a site.
- Search by Recreation Site – Click on Find An Area on the right side bar
- Recreation Site Brochures and Maps
- Historical Sites & Topics
- Designated Wilderness Areas‹
- Federal and Recreation Providers
Outdoor Safety and Information:
- Forest Emergency & Safety Brochure
- Rules and Restrictions
- Area Alerts and Closures
- List of Outfitters and Guides
- Area Tourism Websites