From Rangely, Colorado (junction of State Highways 64 and 139), travel south on Highway 139. The District begins about 3 miles south and continues for 15 miles.
HISTORIC & CULTURAL SITE, HIKING, PICNICKING
Canyon Pintado National Historic District encompasses over 16,000 acres of public land along 15 miles of State Highway 139. Canyon Pintado (Spanish for “Painted Canyon”) received its name in 1776 when Fathers Dominguez and Escalante noted numerous examples of ancient Native American rock art as they traveled through the Douglas Creek Valley. For more information, please contact the White River Field Office.