From Reedsport, Oregon travel south 10 miles to the Eel Creek Campground. Campground entrance is located on west side of Highway 101 at mile post 222.
CAMPING, FISHING, HIKING
EELC,OREGON DUNES,LAKESIDE OREGON,TUGMAN STATE PARK,SIUSLAW NF – FS
Eel Creek Campground sits among coastal shrubbery on the edge of the sandy dunes of Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Eel Creek attracts campers who plan to do more than off-road vehicle riding during their visit to the dunes.
Hikers and birders are attracted to the peaceful atmosphere of the campground. The most popular trail here is the John Dellenback Dunes Trail, which guides hikers through the scenic dunes to the Pacific beach.
The section of dunes in the Umpqua Dune Area features spectacular heights, and the area is one of the easiest locations for pedestrian beach access.
The John Dellenback Dunes Trail takes hikers on a 2.7-mile (one way) trek from a conifer forest across the open dunes to the beach on the Pacific Ocean. To private vistas of fresh water lakes like Threemile Lake. The trail finishes at a beach on the Pacific. This hike makes for an incredible workout, due to tall dunes and soft sand. Quality wildlife watching is also a feature of the campground.
The campground is divided into a North and South Loop. Amenities include flush toilets, drinking water and a self pay station. A campground host is on hand and an amphitheater sits between the two loops. This campground has 51 sites, 38 are reservable and the rest are available on a first-come first-serve basis.
Most sites are secluded and private due to dense shrubbery like rhododendrons and Salal. Sites 7, 8, 42 and 43 are perched on the sand of the dunes. The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, in the southern end of Siuslaw National Forest, is known for its wind-sculpted sand dunes towering up to 500 feet above sea level.
Visit Umpqua Lighthouse State Park, along Lake Marie. The Umpqua River Lighthouse stands on the site where the first lighthouse on the Oregon Coast was built in 1857. The current lighthouse dates back to 1890.